Melting on a Monday
Good morning from our forecast for an ‘oppressively hot’ day. I spent most of my childhood summers in southern Indiana where ‘hazy, hot and humid’ wasn’t even a talking point, since it was assumed. The puppy has already been into the pond once today, we’re stocked up on beverages and there will be no turning on of the oven. (And just one tiny, little, secret smile about not having to be in a kitchen all day and night on a day like this.) The good thing about living in Vermont, it’ll be over by tonight when the thunderstorms blow through.
- The most exciting thing that happened this week is that my little baking business has a finalized new logo! Stay tuned, it’ll have it’s own website one of these days too. For now details can still be found over on the Banoffi & Such page on this website. Now I have to resist ordering all kinds of ‘stuff’ with my logo – so tempting when it’s so cool! Thanks you so very much to The Image Farm – they have been a treat to work with.
- It does mean that I have been compiling a list of promotional items I’d like to have with my new logo, even though I should be focusing on making money rather than spending it. T-shirts, sweatshirts, hats, aprons, magnets, muffins papers, tote bags, reusable delivery items, flip-flops…..(the possibilities really are bizarrely thorough) If anyone has any actual requests or ideas, send them my way!
- I read about this book, The Secret Life of Cows, and there is a case made about the need for happy animals. I’m not getting into that debate, surrounded as I am by farms and farming and people who know 1000x more than me about all these matters. But it made me think of friends who are raising wagyu, MERAJ Wagyu Beef, right nearby and how happy their cows look.
- Oh, are you a runner? Or a walker? I’m involved in moving the long-standing Apple Blossom Derby fundraising 5K & 10K from the May (blossom) event it always was to a fall event to coincide with Shoreham Apple Fest. These events are both fundraisers for our fantastic Platt Memorial Library. The all-new race is now known as The Orchard Run at Apple Fest and online registration is now open! Sign up for the race here. Find all event details here. Find out all about the library here.
- I’ve recently been made aware of Japanese Milk Bread and now need to make some. One of the drawbacks to getting obsessed with a recipe that I’ve seen in a book or in an Instagram post is that if/when I make it, I have no real-life experience to compare. Does it taste right? Does it look right? Sometimes I don’t know. I’m currently having this trouble with a recipe of my mother’s and my google-ing is only making it worse. There are too many variations and styles for me to figure out what mine is ‘supposed’ to look like. Somewhere in all of this is the magic of cooking, isn’t it? Recipes are ever-changing with new cooks, new thoughts and new interpretations.
- And strawberries have come to town. Hip, hip hooray! It’s a short and sweet season and I can’t wait to get over to Douglas Orchards to get started on all the strawberry things I love. I have plans for sun jam, cupcakes, pie bars…..maybe this year I’ll make ice cream (even though I never liked strawberry ice cream as a kid) and I’ll surely toss it into every loaf of breakfast bread, if I’m invited to a party maybe I’ll make pavlova or a flourless chocolate cake topped with macerated fresh berries…..isn’t the planning half the fun?
Have a great, berry-filled, week.