We’ve got another hot one on deck up here in Vermont and, as much as I like to bake, I’m glad I don’t have a day of baking in front of me today. I’m planning to make (again) this super simple recipe for avocado toast from Smitten Kitchen for lunch and there is leftover pasta for dinner. With fresh corn. Because as far as I’m concerned, a day in August is wasted if you haven’t had fresh corn or fresh tomatoes, or both.
- Banoffi & Such has been having a banner time in the past week though, so there will be baking on hot days coming up and I’m so glad for it! It’s fun getting creative and the whole ‘cooking for others’ thing is really satisfying. Stay tuned for news regarding being able to get your very own muffin or two without having to order a whole dozen from me! Fun times!
- I read the phrase ‘forest bathing’ somewhere in the last week and at first I thought it sounded kind of pretentious and odd. Aren’t we just talking about taking a walk in a forest? But then this morning while I was walking through the woods with my dog, like I do every single morning, it came back to me. And there is a feeling of a different kind of breath you take when you are enclosed by trees, a different quality to the air or something. And, I don’t know, maybe it is a little like taking a bath. I decided today that I like the idea. Then I Googled it and it turns out it’s a real thing! Books and studies about it and all!
- I’m very involved with my local library (the very awesome Platt Memorial Library) and I’ve loved libraries my whole life. (I can still, quite accurately I’m sure, describe the entire layout of the Bloomington, Indiana public library where I spent many, many hazy, hot and humid summer days as a child.) So this article in last week’s Guardian about a book coming out with pictures of The World’s Most Beautiful Libraries made me start my Christmas wish list immediately. Heaven.
- Speaking of books, did you hear about this book called Finnish Nightmares? I’ll be putting it on my Christmas list too. I first read about in a Guardian article about how the Chinese have embraced this Finnish character and even have a new phase about being ‘spiritually Finnish’. I then read more about the book and I think I need this book in my life. I’ve done my DNA testing, there is not one ounce of Finn in my blood, but I think I am spiritually Finnish myself.
- And lastly for this week, does it seem like everyone is going to Portugal this year? It sure feels that way to me. Hubby and I took two terrific trips earlier in the year and are fully committed to loving being home in Vermont for most of the rest of the year but wow, I wish I had a trip to Portugal on my horizon. The world is such a big place full of so many interesting things.